Team of the Year 2018: stats breakdown
UEFA.com's editors and correspondents helped to make the selection based on players' domestic and international performances, as well as their displays in our men's club competitions: the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and UEFA Super Cup. Take a a closer look at the top-line figures.
▪ At 34, Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini is the oldest player nominated.
▪ The tallest player in the initial selection is Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly, who stands at 1.95m.
▪ The shortest nominee is just 1.69m tall, Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kanté.
▪ Seven of the players have made over 100 UEFA club competition appearances.
▪ The youngest player in the selection is just 19, Paris forward Kylian Mbappé.
▪ The 50 players nominated have a combined age of 1389, and an average age of 27.78. Midfield is the oldest line (average age, 28.07), with the defenders averaging a relatively youthful 27.40.
Team of the Year nominees by club
9 Real Madrid
6 Atlético, Liverpool
3 Manchester City, Paris
2 Bayern, Chelsea, Marseille, Roma, Tottenham
1 Manchester United, Napoli
Team of the Year nominees by national team
3 England, Germany
2 Argentina, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Senegal
1 Costa Rica, Egypt, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Wales
▪ There are twice as many Uruguayans as Argentinians among the nominees.
▪ There are three African internationals in the selection.
▪ Seven Serie A players have been nominated, but only one Italian.
▪ There are ten French nominees, but only three of those play in Ligue 1.
Team of the Year nominees by domestic league
22 Liga (Spain)
14 Premier League (England)
7 Serie A (Italy)
5 Ligue 1 (France)
2 Bundesliga (Germany)